The sequel to Paradise Valley, The Captive Heart tells of the Bender family's second year in Mexico. Having left their home in the U.S. due to state interference in their Amish lifestyle, they now encounter more pressing dangers from brigands and disease.
What happens when pacifism encounters men who live and die by violence? How does a religious community function without a preacher? How do adolescents looking for love and marriage find a mate when there are only a handful of families in the whole country who share their faith? How do you treat desperately ill children when there isn't a doctor within miles? What can you say to describe these strains when you want to encourage friends to come join you, but need to be honest in sharing the dangers? How do you earn the respect of your neighbors when your religion and values and habits are totally different? How do you go on when you encounter tragedy?
The Captive Heart is an entertaining story that balances adventure and tension with the interactions of family life. The fate of the family will hinge on Caleb's decision about how to live out his Amish faith without guns, in a land where roving bands of brigands threaten them. The fate of his daughter Miriam will hinge on her decision about whether to follow her heart or her religion.
While the story is engrossing and delightful, I would have enjoyed a little more depth about the Amish thought process in a couple of the themes. I was disappointed that Miriam's situation was not developed more, and that we didn't hear more about her own internal struggle. I was also disappointed that there was not more explanation of the irony of how to punish an Amish man who is not being a pacifist.
[Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers as part of their Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ]

No comments:
Post a Comment