Thursday, July 5, 2012

An Invitation to the Supernatural Life by Michele Perry

This book gets 5 stars: *****

The title of the book is perfect, "An Invitation to the Supernatural Life".  I expected to like the book, but it was far more than I anticipated.  Do you ever wonder if it might be possible to connect more deeply with God?  Do you hunger for a more meaningful life?  Do you get frustrated when your daily demands pull you away from spiritual activates?   Read this book – it will give you a new perspective.

I was delighted to find that the book had both solid content and engaging stories, and on top of that it is written beautifully.   By the end of the first chapter I had already laughed and cried and prayed. What more could you want in a book?

Michele seamlessly weaves together her personal story, including both her encounters with God and her work with orphans in South Sudan.  She is not naïve and sentimental about them, rather she shares the astounding stories of their own faith, and the amazing grace they extend to the very people who have traumatized them. 

As she says herself, she is an unlikely candidate to be a missionary in South Sudan. Yet the very things that make her journey implausible are immensely encouraging and inspiring.  I catch myself thinking, “well, if Michele can do thus and such, surely I can do something beyond my own comfort zone and current capabilities.” 

I am torn between telling all my friends to buy the book right away, or keeping it a lovely secret so I can buy everyone a copy for Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment