Saturday, July 14, 2012

Reclaiming Lily by Patti Lacy

Reclaiming Lily by Patti Lacy has so much going for it, but doesn’t quite come together. I wanted to love it, I really did. It has the core of a gripping plot, an interesting conjunction of cultures, and a family drama that you really want to see turn out well.  But the inconsistent character development was disappointing

The story starts out with promise – an American family wanting to adopt in China.  Gloria and Andrew travel to China where they experience the confusion, the hope, the disappointment, and finally the satisfaction of adopting a child, Lily, who they bring home and re-name Joy. In their happiness they are oblivious to the fact that Lily’s sister has been secretly watching out for her, and is appalled that she is being adopted.

Seven years later, Joy is a typical American teenager, arguing with her mother at every opportunity, and living a normal American adolescent life. He sister Kai rejoins the scene and the plot centers around the drama of a family that is being pulled in various directions, and trying to discover what is best for Joy and also for themselves.

Perhaps due to the adolescent drama occurring inside the house, Gloria is suspicious and threatened by Kai. She swings between immaturity and faith in a not wholly convincing way.  The core question of the book is whether l Kai and Gloria will  be able to find a meeting of the minds in order to do what is best  for Joy.

[Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers as part of their Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ] 

No comments:

Post a Comment