A comparison of the classic edition with the modernized language edition reveals extensive updates that serve to make it easier to understand for contemporary readers. Here is a sample sentence from the original: "An over-weening consideration for ourselves is the thing that keeps us from that decision, though we put it that we are considering others."
Compare this to the new version: "An undue amount of thought and consideration for ourselves is what keeps us from making that decision, although we cover it up with the pretense that it is others we are considering. "
Each page has gems -- thought provoking sentences that linger in the mind and heart. Although I had dabbled in the original version I had never quite been gripped enough to read it through. The newer version is more immediately compelling, and this latest edition chooses about a quarter of the selections, resulting in an easy to read, and easy to understand devotional, that still has meat and substance.
Here are a couple of examples of sentences that really made me think:
"As long as I dwell on my own qualities and traits and think about what I am suited for, I will never hear the call of God." That skewers me to the heart, because it cuts right to the heart of it. I cannot limit my decisions to what is sensible if I want to go where the Holy Spirit sends me.
"The greatest competitor of true devotion to Jesus is the service we do for Him." The ministry we do is all good, but it can actually distract from listening to Him and following Him.
For a new look at an old favorite, this is a successful revision.

No comments:
Post a Comment