Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Unbreakable by Nancy Mehl

Unbreakable by Nancy Mehl takes three genres--Mennonite Romantic Suspense-- and melds them together to create a compelling story.  Faith, love, and revenge all compete to drive the action and the decisions, and indeed the suspense includes not just the question of how it will turn out, but whether Hope will follow the teachings of her church on non-violence, or the more pragmatic view that they need to defend themselves.  Where do you draw the line? Can a proponent of non-violence act  in self-defense?  Is carrying an unloaded gun a valid compromise, or is it the worst of all worlds, relinquishing principles without being effective? 

I appreciated the fact that people of faith were represented with full-fledged characterizations, not just stereotypes of rigidity or passivity.  Indeed, the nuances of the internal struggles to understand and live out the ramifications of faith were an integral part of the story. 

I have no idea how accurate the portrayal of the Mennonite community is, but I found it fascinating to see how the oversight of the church leadership played out in terms of the behavior and actions of the congregation. Again, there was an interesting balance point that tried to draw a line between mindless acceptance, and obedience and loyalty.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants more substance than a typical romance, and who prefers a more wholesome, edifying style. 


[Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers as part of their Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ]




No comments:

Post a Comment