Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pope Francis in His Own Words

Even though I'm a protestant, and don't 'believe' in the Pope in the sense of attributing infallibility to him, I recognize that it is a hugely influential role world wide.  And I'm also interested in any common ground between Christians of various labels.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the book is not in depth.  I agree that I would have preferred longer quotes that made the context clear.  That being said, I was pleased with the book.  I especially appreciated the fact that it included quotes from before he became pope, so one can see his perspective over time, not just now that the spotlight is on him.

I love the fact that the quotes reflect a man who is deeply spiritual ("Christ is the only Savior of the whole person and of all persons"), yet also cares for the flesh and blood people around him ("God wants me to be face to face with the one who is most in need.").

He is not afraid to acknowledge the abuses of history ("It is not enough to avoid injustice if you're not promoting justice".) or to repudiate the sex abuse scandals of the church ("You cannot be in a position of power and use it to destroy the life of another person.")

The book is organized alphabetically by topic, and is a very quick and easy read that gives the flavor of his personality, even though the quotes are so short.  Best of all, the book whets my appetite to learn more about him as a person.

[Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from New World Library as part of their Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.]

No comments:

Post a Comment