Friday, September 27, 2013

Pulse by Jenny Chandler

To sum it up in one sentence, if you want to add more beans to your diet, read Pulse. 
I chose this on a whim, and am delighted.  We keep hearing how healthy beans are, but sometimes they just taste too much like health-food, if you know what I mean.  And sometimes I think it might be good to make beans for dinner, but I forgot to start soaking them last night. So a book that gives techniques as well as recipes is very helpful.  While there is quite a bit of British terminology (as evidenced by the title), all measurements are also given in the American style, so it is perfectly suitable for an American cook. 

In the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that I haven’t actually tried the recipes yet, but I’m already learning so much in terms of concepts and principles.  Chandler starts at the very beginning (how to buy legumes), goes on to the basics (various soaking methods for different types of beans), and covers suggestions for how to reduce gas. 

She also gives pros and cons for different cooking methods, and explains the effect that various ingredients can have on the beans and the pros and cons of adding salt or tomatoes early or late in the cooking process, for example.  Personally, this may explain why some of my previous attempts kept producing rubbery little pellets.  Even better, the principles here will help me indulge my habit of substituting and experimenting, without messing up the cooking time when I think I’m only enhancing the flavor. 

Finally, she gives wonderful seasoning ideas, using both common and exotic ingredients.  Maybe I will finally use the zatar that is hiding in my cupboard.

[Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this e-book free from Anova Books as part of their Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ] 

No comments:

Post a Comment