Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Strange Fire by John MacArthur

This book is heartbreaking.  How can a man of God have stooped so low, to write such erroneous and harmful words?  While I admittedly start with a bias toward a Charismatic approach,  the book contains factual errors not just interpretation differences. Most distressing is the level of vitriol he pours out on his Christian brothers and sisters, and the accusations he makes.  He neglects the worldwide fruit of the Charismatic and Pentecostal movements, and the millions of souls that have been won to Christ through their influence.  Again, I will acknowledge my own bias when I say that I have personally spoken with and ministered with many Charismatic leaders who have led movements where literally millions have come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  To attribute this to the devil is an appalling attack on the body of Christ. 

In the introduction he lays out his premise, and his perspective is clear from the beginning:  if you disagree with his interpretation, you are burning 'strange fire' and subject to judgment.

He repeatedly drops disparaging assertions accusing  of "casual, self indulgent worship" and saying that " it is a serious crime to dishonor The Lord, to treat him with contempt, or worship him in a way he detests."  While I hope that any believer would agree with the bare statement, the context gives the implication that all Charismatics and pentecostals are guilty of this.  He refers to 'irreverent antics and twisted doctrines' of the charismatics and claims that they are even worse than the strange fire of Nadab and Abihu. "The charismatic fixation with the Holy Spirit's work is deception and false honor".

He emphasizes exception cases and assumes they are the rule.  He is correct in saying that there are abuses in the Charismatic houses, but incorrect in asserting or implying that they are ubiquitous.  I agree that we should all mourn the moral failures of other believers, and guard our own hearts.   I agree that a life submitted to the Holy Spirit should reflect increasing sanctification.  I agree that every prophecy should be measured against scripture, and no prophecy should be accepted that contradicts the written word.

I also agree  with looking at 1 John 4:1-8, to give us steps for testing the spirits.  But here again the author castigated a whole movement based on the failures of a few.  It is undeniable that there have been abuses in the Word of Faith camp,  exaggerations by some healing evangelists, and failures in some prophetic circles.  But I would question whether he is focusing so hard on the exceptions that he is oblivious to the fruit.  He denies that any true headings have taken place, which is factually incorrect. 

In the appendix, he selectively quotes voices from church history and claims that charismatics acknowledge that the gifts of the spirit ceased sometimes in the early first century.  This is false.  While there were historic periods where the gifts were less prominent, they never ceased.

He cherry picks quotations from historic Christians to include only those critical of the gifts, even when the same author said other things that present a different opinion.
He takes quotes out of context to imply that the gifts are ungodly "whatever does not have its origin in the scriptures is surely from the devil himself".

To summarize, I consider the author to be a brother in Christ who has been deceived himself into some of the very faults he accuses others of.   I honor his service to the body of Christ but find this book to be a deplorable example of uninformed judgment.  Contrary to his fear that receiving the gifts of the spirit is an obsession that fails to glorify Jesus, the name of Jesus is glorified when we evangelize the lost, and when we actually believe Matthew 10:8 and pray to heal the sick in Jesus' name.  The name of Jesus is glorified when evangelists reach the lost even more effectively because they combine preaching God's holy word with testifying of his might deeds and demonstrating his loving power.  The name of Jesus is glorified when we believe and follow the great commission.


[Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ] 

No comments:

Post a Comment