Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Courting Cate by Leslie Gould

Courting Cate is a successful example of a sub-genre: an Amish Romance.  I know that 'wholesome' makes it sound like health food, but I really mean it as a compliment. It is such a pleasure to read a story that has interesting characters, good writing, and an unusual setting, without having to wade through gratuitous sex and violence.

The family dynamics were especially compelling. Sibling rivalry, parental control, differences in generational agendas all play their part, and it is fascinating to see how these timeless themes play out in an Amish setting. It was also heartwarming to see how a family can argue or disagree, yet still demonstrate that there is a fundamental love that will not be shaken even when they are mad at each other.

I especially appreciated the fact that while faith is an undercurrent throughout the book, it is not preachy. The title character is also unusual in that she is outspoken and eager to pursue learning -- not a typical Amish woman.

I did find that the visit with the in-laws seemed a little implausible -- it was so horrible but she seemed so unbelievably willing to take it, that it was a little inconsistent with her character. But that is a minor complaint in the context of the whole book.

Finally, I recommend this book to anyone who is sick of insipid romances, because the characterizations raise this to a much more substantive level.

[Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers as part of their Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ]

No comments:

Post a Comment